User Experience + Content
- (202) 246-3268
- Washington, DC
Expert in user-centered design and content dedicated to creating exceptional online experiences. Certified Usability Analyst (CUA) and user interface designer for Congress.gov, experienced in collaborating with big teams on very big websites.
2010 - Present
2006 - 2007
Senior Information Architect and Content Strategist
Library of Congress Contract
Designed user interfaces and developed content strategies for Library websites.
- Created user-centered information architectures. Deliverables included content inventories, site maps, wireframes, concept models, task flows, use cases, personas, and functional specifications.
- Guided teams through content strategy and content migration, helping content providers improve and manage content.
- Designed the site structure and compiled the content for the first cultural theme month sites (African American History, Women's History, and five more).
- Inventoried all public and internal web content (850 sites).
- Gathered web analytics and assisted with user research.
- Coordinated visual design and collaborated on responsive design.
My main project since June 2011 has been Congress.gov, the official site for the legislation of the U.S. Congress.
American Institute of Architects (AIA)
2008 - 2009
Director of User Experience
Began as a consultant in April 2008 and became director in February 2009.
- Redesigned the information architecture for AIA.org and the AIA chapter sites, conducted user research, art directed, and helped steer site strategy.
- Supervised a visual designer and a front-end developer/designer.
2005 - 2006
Senior Content Strategist (2006)
Senior Information Architect (2005)
- Created a content strategy and marketing campaign for Marriott Vacation Club International timeshares.
- Performed a competitive analysis of the "find a hotel" search for Marriott.com and five major hotel sites.
- Redesigned the "join" form for Marriott Rewards, reducing form length by 47% and making the process one step instead of two.
- Completed a competitive analysis of "remember me" personalization on major sites and designed personalization for Marriott Rewards members. Published "Guiding Principles for Providing 'Remember Me' Personalization."
2004 - 2005
Senior Information Architect and User Researcher
Department of Health and Human Services Contract
- Re-architected the top levels of the agency's 18,000-page intranet. Interviewed 24 users, wrote personas, and guided the content audit. Co-authored a gap analysis to compare the existing intranet with current user needs.
- Conducted usability testing in the Usability.gov lab: card sorting and task-based testing of the existing intranet versus the new design. Overall task success rates improved 36%. Estimated productivity gains and cost savings were $636,584 (assuming all 67,000 HHS employees did each task once).
National Association of Realtors (NAR)
2002 - 2004
Information Architect (2003 - 2004)
Content Editor (2002 - 2003)
NAR, a former client, hired me after my previous employer, Iconixx, closed in DC.
- Directed and performed information architecture work and usability testing for the full redesign of Realtor.org. Met all first-year goals:
1) Unique visitors increased 50% and repeat visitors doubled.
2) Online product sales rose 30-50%.
3) Conference registration went up 25%.
4) Website registration increased 50%.
- Authored the project plan and played a pivotal role in defining site strategy, budget, and web team structure.
- Supervised an information architect and a visual designer.
- Wrote and edited Realtor.org content, including breaking news on legislation and on NAR's monthly housing indicators.
2001 - 2002
Consulted for NAR and its affiliate, the Council of Residential Specialists (CRS).
- Re-architected the top levels of Realtor.org, consolidating 56 websites. Produced a content audit, interviewed users and subject-matter experts, user tested concepts, and coordinated visual design.
- Designed a user-centric site structure for CRS.com that won the "Standard of Excellence Award" from the Web Marketing Association. User tested the new information architecture and oversaw content migration and editing. CRS reported that the redesign increased site traffic substantially.
I received Iconixx's Employee of the Quarter Award for my work with NAR.
1989 - 2001
Wrote and designed for web and print:
- Independent Consultant (2000-2001)
- Web Designer | Maden Tech Consulting, Inc. (1999-2000)
- Copywriter (1994-1998) | Graphic Designer (1991-1994) | The Washington Post
- Graphic Designer | Promisloff Casem, Inc. (1989-1991)
As a print designer at The Washington Post, I was awarded the Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association Award for First Place, Local Retail Campaign for WMAL Radio.
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
1985 - 1989
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design
Took courses towards RISD degree at Brown University and Old Dominion University.
2006 - 2009